Monday, April 9, 2007

A Time To Be Molded

"So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.  Then the word of the LORD came to me, "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" (Jeremiah 18:3-6 NIV)

I had some time to myself this weekend...something that I don't like because there is too much to think about.  Too many opportunities for the enemy to penetrate my brain.  I tried to keep myself busy enough that I wouldn't have time to be idle, but alas, yesterday it caught up with me. 

There wasn't much to do because it was Easter Sunday and the malls were closed and everyone else was busy with their families, which was to be expected.  Jay went golfing with his brother, and I am thankful that he felt well enough to do that.  But, that left me to go to church and then figure out what I was going to do with the rest of my day.

After spending the entire morning at church,  I made a trip to the grocery store and then went home where it was time to figure out what to do next.  Well, it occurred to me (duh) that "go, go, go" is the gear that I'm in all the time and I don't allow myself any real down time.  I work, take painting classes, give massages, go to bible study, and sing in a choir during the week.   No wonder I'm exhausted all the time! 

So, yesterday was a day that the Lord was trying to slow me down in order to get my attention.  I was really bugged because I didn't have any place to be and the Lord told me to 'sit quiet.'  Okay...sitting and being quiet is not how I'm used to being so this was a big struggle for me.  It took a while, but the Lord was finally able to quiet my spirit and I was able to handle being home alone.   

But, it wasn't until today that I realized what the Lord was really trying to do for me.  He was trying to show me that just because I was by myself, didn'tmean that I was alone.   

Ah, I get it, Lord.  I'm a little slow on the uptake, so forgive me. 

Okay, so now that I totally understand what the Lord was trying to accomplish with me...I see things a little differently and feel better about it.  This is all a part of my growth spiritually.  It is all about my leaning on the Lord for my comfort and companionship. 

He is the Potter and He is molding me.  When I refuse to "take shape" He is faithful to take me down to level ground and reshape me.  "The vessel was marred in the hand of the potter...so he made it again." (Jeremiah 18:4)

Father, I thank You for meeting me where I am at.  Your love never ceases to amaze me.  I pray that Your loving hands continue to mold me and shape me.  Even when I am resistant, I pray that Your efforts would continue.  Your vision for my life is far greater than my own.  I praise You.  In Your precious Son's name.  Amen.

No comments: