Sunday, March 25, 2007

Faithfulness

"He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much." (Luke 16:10 NASB)
 
I've been learning to pay attention to the smaller details of life lately, because the Lord is showing me that it is in the smaller things that you learn the most about being obedient to Him. 
 
Now, this may be a stretch for some, but just hang in there with me... 
 
Everyone shops at the grocery store, but how many times have you seen people just leave their carts right where their car is and not walk it back to the cart keeper?  Even if the cart keeper is one parking space away!  Well, I don't know about you, but I've been guilty of it.  By taking that extra step and putting the cart away where it belongs, is it possible that it is a form of obedience to the Lord? 
 
Or how about this...upon getting your groceries home and checking the receipt, you see that you were not charged for one of the items.  Do you go back to the store and bring it to their attention and make them charge you for it?  If you're saying to yourself, "Well, it depends on how much that item costs, or more boldly, just answer the question with a resounding 'No,' you are not being faithful to the Lord.  He tells us that if we are faithful in the little things, we can be trusted with the bigger things in life, and on the flip side, if we cannot be trusted in the small stuff, He knows not to trust us in the big. 
 
My awareness of these 'minor' matters has been brought to the forefront of my mind, and even more so, the Holy Spirit has put conviction on my heart for these little inconveniences and many more just like them.  But, I have found a way that I can honor the Lord by taking that extra step in the name of Jesus Christ. 
 
My friend and I have joked around about paying attention to our surroundings.  I never used to stop and increase my awareness of the happenings around me, but she pointed out to me that if I just took the time to look around at things and people, and really listen to sounds and noises that I would become more keenly aware of everything.  And you know what? It is absolutely true!  But, it's not in just the physical or tangible.  This process of awareness has effected my spiritual life as well.  I am taking the time to apply my keen sense of awareness to differentiate between what is right according to human standards and what is right according to the standards set by the Lord. 
 
I know that I will never meet the Lord's standards, but what I can do is hold myself accountable to do more than just what is accepted by the world, or even allowable by the standards of other Christians.  I will not live my life as if I were living in the world again, and just the same, I cannot set my standards based on what my brothers and sisters in Christ deem as acceptable for themselves.  Instead, I need to set the bar higher than that when I receive the conviction of the Holy Spirit and I know in my heart that the Lord can be glorified on a deeper level. 
 
I am amazed at how faithful the Lord is to bless me when I am obedient to Him by persevering through the tedious little things in life in order to honor Him. 
 
I invite you to find your own awareness level.  It will be a challenge, no doubt, and it will stretch you in your walk , but in your obedience, the Lord will bless you abundantly.
 
To my friend who has taught me to be aware, thank you for following the Lord's leading to share such a valuable lesson with me.  My life has been changed.  I pray that the Lord continues to use you as a vessel to stretch and mold me into the Christian that He wants me to be.  I love you very much for your faithfulness.
 
I'm off to do the dreaded laundry...but, as unto the Lord!  :0)

No comments: